The Missouri Valley is 24-5 in non-conference play so far this year. And three of the losses are to top-25 teams.
Thru Nov. 18, 80 teams still have a perfect record. The MVC (6), the Big Ten (8), Big East (7), the Big 12 (6), the C-USA (6), the Mountain West (6), the Pac-12 (7), and the SEC (8) are most of it.
Wichita State has the nation's best road record since the start of the 2010-11 season. The Shockers are 20-3 (.870). Next best on that list is Kansas (17-3 for .850).
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Jackie Carmichael, Illinois State
NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK: Cleanthony Early, Wichita State
Full release, plus school-by-school notes and results are at right (PDF).
Other significant performances last week:
- Carl Hall of Wichita State averaged 13.0 points on 47 percent shooting (14-30) in WSU's three wins last week. Hall also averaged a team-high 7.3 boards for the week and led the team with 11 boards against VCU
- Evansville's Jordan Jahr finished the week averaging 9.7 points and 5.3 rebounds while shooting 42.3%.
- Jake Odum of Indiana State averaged 16.0 ppg, while hitting 8-of-11 (72.7 percent) from the field, including one 3-pointer while making 15-of-16 (93.8 percent) attempts from the charity stripe as ISU won two games.
- SIU's Jeff Early averaged 23.0 points and 9.5 rebounds in wins last week over New Orleans and Benedictine-Springfield. Early's 27 points at UNO were a career high. He made 20-of-28 (.714) shots from the field and added five steals. He also took six charges in the two games.
- Anthony Downing of Missouri State was 5-for-6 at the free throw line, played 38 minutes and knocked down 5 field goals as the Bears played within four points of a national top 25 team until the final seven minutes of the game.
- UNI's Deon Mitchell poured in a career-high 27 points in leading UNI to an 84-81 overtime win over Toledo. Mitchell made 8-of-11 shots from the field and 11-of-14 free throws to go along with five assists in the victory vs. the Rockets.
- Gregory Echenique was a perfect 9-for-9 from the field and averaged a double-double (10.5 ppg., 12.0 rpg.) in two wins last week. He started the week with a monster performance, scoring 13 points, grabbing a career-high 16 rebounds and swatting four blocked shots in a 77-60 win over UAB.
- Jordan Clarke led Drake in the loss at Detroit with his first double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds … he finished the game 6-of-7 from the field including a critical three-pointer to help Drake pull within two possessions late
- Ethan Wragge averaged 15.0 points per game in just 19.5 minutes per game off the bench as Creighton posted double-digit wins vs. UAB and Presbyterian last week. Wragge made 10-of-16 shots, all from three-point range, to shoot 62.5 percent for the week.
- Walt Lemon, Jr. led the Braves to a pair of wins last week, helping Bradley to its third consecutive 3-0 start. In the two games, Lemon averaged 16.5 points, 5.0 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game
- True-freshman guard Kaza Keane has started all three games for Illinois State this season, and is averaging 4.3 assists per game, with 13 assists and only five turnovers. He is also averaging 5.3 points on 58 percent shooting from the field.
- Indiana State junior Dawon Cummings averaged 8.0 points and 3.0 rebounds per game as the Sycamores swept a two-game homestand against Winthrop and Truman State. He hit 5-of-10 shots from the field, including a trio of 3-pointers and was a perfect 3-of-3 from the free throw line.
- Chris Hines made his Drake debut and responded with 14 points off the bench … was 4-of-9 from the field and converted on five of his six free throw attempts … four of those attempts and makes came in the final two minutes of the contest as he helped keep Drake within striking distance
- Bradley's Tyshon Pickett helped Bradley to a pair of wins last week and a 3-0 start to the season by averaging 10.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2.0 blocked shots and 2.0 steals per game
- Matt Bohannon averaged 9.0 ppg and 5.0 rpg in helping UNI to wins over Toledo and North Dakota. Bohannon tied his career high with 11 points in the Panthers' 72-47 triumph over North Dakota.
- Evansville's D.J. Balentine led all players with 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting over 28 minutes of action. His 16-point outing was the most for a UE freshman since Jordan Jahr accomplished the feat two years ago.